Strength through collaboration.
Below is a list of our ongoing Tables.
The broad central objectives of the Greater Victoria Coalition to End Homelessness’s working group is to assist the Health & Housing Steering Committee in the development of the Strategic Plan and Business Plan, and to facilitate community engagement to support the implementation of projects and inform deliverables. This includes identifying and actioning the requirement of new groups related to carrying out specific tasks and providing the necessary leadership through the working with community service organizations to produce the desired results.
Each group meets monthly to provide input, move projects forward, and share concerns in their particular areas of focus. They are attended by anywhere from 5 – 20 people, mainly comprised of service agency representatives, as well as funders and other engaged community members. They are more than advisory in that our meetings move projects forward, though we try not to burden members with additional work outside meeting times.
The working groups are as follows:
- System Transformation Working Group
- Lived and Living Experience Council
- Frontline Service Providers
- Youth Task Force
- Peer Housing Support Program Working Group
- Communications & Community Engagement Working Group
Downtown Service Providers
The Downtown Services Providers is an open-membership group of housing, social support, spiritual support, and government organizations working to support people experiencing homelessness in the downtown area of Victoria. The monthly meetings include knowledge sharing, operational updates, campaign planning, and coordination of events such as Homelessness Action Week and Project Connect.
The mission of the DSP is:
- To have a positive impact on the lives of marginalized citizens by coordinating the efforts of individual organizations to achieve improved outcomes.
- To be recognized as the ‘go to’ association to address social, health and safety issues in the downtown core.
Role of Committee Members
Members of the DSP are responsible for:
- Sharing information pertinent to achieving the vision and strategic objectives;
- Engaging in strategic planning activities to support the strategic objectives;
- Identifying and implementing opportunities to coordinate activities across organizations in support of the strategic objectives;
- Communicating the objectives of the DSP to key stakeholders and the community at large;
- Engaging service users to continually seek their perspective;
- Carrying out specific responsibilities related to the strategic objectives; and,
- Being accountable to DSP partners, service users and the community at large.
The DSP has evolved into a powerful voice for change, and continues to focus more energy on reaching decision makers to influence change at all levels.
If you require urgent emotional support, including having thoughts of suicide and other mental health issues, please call Vancouver Island Crisis Line: 1-888-494-3888.
Youth (under 25 years of age) may access youthspace.ca for online emotional support.
For other resources, including shelter availability, visit bc211.ca